Tuesday, 18 August 2020

The Race Between the Mouse Deer and the Tiny Snail

The Race Between the Mouse Deer and the Tiny Snail

Chapter 1: The Boast on the Hilltop

Once upon a time, deep within the heart of an ancient, lush forest, there lived a clever little creature known far and wide as the Mouse Deer. On a bright and blissful morning, the Mouse Deer pranced gracefully along the winding woodland paths. He decided to ascend the highest hill in the kingdom, eager to gaze upon the majestic canopy from above.

Upon reaching the summit, he puffed out his chest with immense pride and let out a mighty shout that echoed through the valleys.

Mouse Deer: "O noble inhabitants of this grand forest, gather round and hear my voice! I am the legendary Mouse Deer, the sharpest mind in all the realm! Not a single beast, bird, or bug can ever match my brilliant cunning!"
Chapter 1 The Boast on the Hilltop
High in the tree branches, chatterbox monkeys shook their heads, colorful birds paused their sweet melodies, and shiny beetles paused on giant leaves. They grew quite annoyed by his boisterous bragging, yet they chose to ignore his vanity and went on with their day.

Chapter 2: An Unlikely Challenge

Having satisfied his pride, the Mouse Deer trotted merrily down the hill until he arrived at the crystal-clear river. As he sauntered along the cool, pebbles-lined bank, a tiny, slow-moving creature caught his eye.
Chapter 2 An Unlikely Challenge
Snail: "Good morning, mighty Mouse Deer! Pray tell, where are your swift legs carrying you on this splendid day?"

Mouse Deer: "Oh, hello there, little Snail," replied the Mouse Deer, barely glancing down. "I am simply taking a triumphant stroll to admire my kingdom."

Snail: "It certainly sounds as though you are full of joy, Mouse Deer! Your mighty shouts reached all the way down here to the riverbank."

Mouse Deer: "Ah, indeed! I merely deemed it necessary to remind every creature in this woods that I am, without a doubt, the smartest animal alive."

Snail: "Hmm, I beg to differ, my dear friend. You are quite mistaken, for it is I who holds the title of the cleverest beast in this forest."

Mouse Deer: "What? Are you utterly mad, tiny Snail? Your shell is miniscule, and your pace is a crawl! How on earth could a soft little creature like you claim to be wiser than me?"

Snail: "Do not judge a creature by its humble size, Mouse Deer. If you doubt my wits, why not test them? I dare challenge you to a footrace along the river path. Mark my words, you shall not win!"

Mouse Deer: "Ha ha ha! A race against a snail? This is the funniest jest I have heard in a hundred moons! Very well, little one, if that is your wish! We shall race tomorrow at the crack of dawn."

Snail: "It is a bargain then, Mouse Deer. I shall await you right here at sunrise, ready to claim victory!"

Chapter 3: The Secret Scheme

As soon as the Mouse Deer pranced away into the thickets, the little Snail blew a tiny shell horn to assemble all his dear friends and kinfolk. Hundreds of identical snails emerged from under the river leaves.

Snail: "My dear brothers and sisters! The arrogant Mouse Deer has accepted my challenge for a race tomorrow. To teach him a lesson in humility, I need your help. You must line up along the race track, hiding behind rocks and fallen logs at regular intervals. Whenever the Mouse Deer calls out my name, the nearest among you must answer him from ahead!"

Chapter 3: The Secret Scheme

The snails cheered softly and immediately set off to take their hidden positions along the riverbank, ready for the grand day.

The following morning broke gloriously warm and bright. The Mouse Deer leaped out of his cozy bed of moss and strutted down to the riverbank, fully confident of a effortless triumph.

Mouse Deer: "Ho there, Snail! Are you truly prepared to suffer a swift defeat against the fastest legs in the forest?"

Snail: "I am more than ready, Mouse Deer! Let us waste no time and begin at once!"

Both contestants lined up at the starting mark.

Mouse Deer: "On your mark... get set... go!"

Chapter 4: The Never-Ending Sprint

The Mouse Deer dashed forward like an arrow released from a bow, leaving a cloud of dust behind him. He laughed heartily as he sprinted, imagining the tiny snail crawling helplessly at the starting line. After running a great distance, he slowed down to a gentle trot, looking back over his shoulder.

Mouse Deer: "Hey there, little Snail! Where have you wandered off to? You are already leagues behind me!"

Snail Friend #1: "Hello up there, Mouse Deer! I am right here in front of you! Why have you stopped? Are your famous legs growing weary already?"

The Mouse Deer gasped, his eyes wide with astonishment! How could a slow snail possibly be ahead of him? Unaware that this was merely one of the Snail’s many hidden friends, he gritted his teeth and sprinted forward with twice the speed.
Chapter 4: The Never-Ending Sprint
He ran until his chest heaved, making sure he was miles away from the previous spot. Stopping once more, he called out haughtily.

Mouse Deer: "Ha! Hey, little Snail! Where are you hiding now? Surely you cannot match my speed this time!"

Snail Friend #2: "Right here in front of you, Mouse Deer! Why do you keep calling for me? If you wish to surrender, you need only say the word!"

Mouse Deer: "Surrender? Never! A Mouse Deer never yields to a snail! I only paused to see if you could keep up with my shadow!"

Panicked and bewildered, the Mouse Deer burst into a desperate, frantic sprint. Yet, no matter how fast he ran, every time he stopped to check, a calm snail voice would greet him from further down the path!

Chapter 5: A Lesson in Humility

Exhausted, panting heavy breaths, and drenched in sweat, the Mouse Deer finally spotted the grand finish line just a few paces ahead. Relief washed over him—he was sure he had finally outrun the tiny creature.

But just as his hoof was about to cross the final mark, a gentle voice called out from the winner's stone.

Snail: "Ah, welcome at long last, Mouse Deer! Whatever took you so long? I have been resting here for quite some time. Did I not warn you that victory would be mine?"

Hearing those words, the Mouse Deer felt as though lightning had struck his heart. He collapsed onto the soft moss, completely drained of energy, staring at the little winner in absolute disbelief.

Mouse Deer: "I... I cannot believe it... Defeated by a tiny snail... How could this be?"

Snail: "Let this be a lesson to you, dear Mouse Deer. It is unwise to let arrogance cloud your heart. You are indeed very clever, but there is always wisdom beyond your own."

Mouse Deer: "You speak the truth, wise Snail," replied the Mouse Deer softly, bowing his head in genuine respect. "I grew far too boastful because I had outsmarted mighty tigers and cunning crocodiles. You have taught me a valuable lesson today, and for that, I offer you my sincere thanks."
Chapter 5: A Lesson in Humility
From that sunny day onward, the Mouse Deer remained as clever as ever, but he never boasted again, knowing that true intelligence walks hand in hand with humility.

Test your wits! Before you finish reading, try the interactive Mouse Deer and the Snail game below — help Kancil run as fast as he can, but watch out: pride can be slower than it looks! The game includes optional voice narration (mute anytime) and is available in both Indonesian and English.

No comments:

Post a Comment