Chapter 1: A Curious Little Adventure
Once upon a time, deep in the heart of a lush green forest, lay a sun-kissed meadow. It was the cozy home of the Gentle Cow family. Among them was a lively little calf who was growing up fast. His big brown eyes were always shining with wonder, for his heart was filled with endless curiosity about the big world beyond the tall grass.
One beautiful morning, while chasing a bright blue butterfly, the Little Calf spotted a sparkling river winding through the forest. Entranced by the rushing water, he trotted back to his mother.
Little Calf: "Mother, look at the river over there! It looks so clear and pretty. May I please go for a walk along the riverbank?"Mother Cow: "Oh, my sweet little one, you may go. But listen to me very carefully: you must always be watchful. The river is full of sneaky crocodiles. Remember, my child, never trust a crocodile easily!"Little Calf: "I will be careful, Mother! I promise!"
With a joyful leap, the Little Calf pranced away toward the sparkling water, singing a cheerful little song in his heart.
Chapter 2: The Cry for Help
When he reached the river, the Little Calf watched with delight as tiny silver fish darted back and forth through the clear water. But just as he leaned in to take a sip, a loud, pained groan echoed from the mud.
Voice in Distress: "Help! Oh, someone please help me! I can't move!"
The Little Calf tiptoed closer and gasped. Stuck beneath a massive fallen tree trunk was Old Mr. Crocodile! The heavy wood had pinned him firmly into the muddy bank. The Little Calf immediately remembered his mother’s warning, so he kept a safe distance.
Little Calf: "What happened to you, Mr. Crocodile? Why are you trapped under that big tree?"Mr. Crocodile: "Oh, dear good Calf! An earthquake shook the forest earlier, and before I could swim away, this heavy tree crashed down right on top of me! I've been stuck here for hours. Please, kind little hero, roll this tree off my back!"Little Calf: "Oh no, I cannot help you, Mr. Crocodile. My mother warned me about crocodiles! If I set you free, you will surely eat me up for lunch!"Mr. Crocodile: (with tears in his big crocodile eyes) "How could you think such a thing? If you leave me here, I will surely perish under this heavy trunk! I give you my sacred promise: if you save me, I will never, ever eat you. I will be forever grateful!"
Hearing the crocodile's pitied pleas, the soft-hearted Little Calf couldn't bear to see him suffer any longer.
Little Calf: "Alright then... I will help you. But please keep your promise!"
Chapter 3: Broken Promises
The Little Calf stepped up to the heavy log. Taking a deep breath, he dug his hooves into the dirt and pushed with all his strength.
Heave! Ho!
With a loud crack, the log rolled away. Old Mr. Crocodile was free at last! But as soon as he stretched his scaly tail, he snapped his long jaws onto the Little Calf’s leg!
Little Calf: (crying out in pain and shock) "Ouch! What are you doing, Mr. Crocodile? Why did you bite my leg? You broke your solemn promise! I just saved your life!"Mr. Crocodile: (grinning wickedly) "Hah! Silly, naive Calf! I haven't eaten a single bite in three whole days. This is the law of the wild! Ask any other creature around—they would do the exact same thing if they were in my position!"
Just then, an old weathered mat came floating down the river.
Little Calf: "Oh, Weathered Mat! Please help us settle this! I saved Mr. Crocodile from under a heavy tree, but now he is trying to eat me! Is that fair?"Weathered Mat: (sighing softly as it drifted past) "Ah, little one... that is simply the way of the world. When I was clean and new, humans cared for me and used me every day. But as soon as I grew old and torn, they threw me into the river without a second thought. Accept your fate, Little Calf, for nobody repays kindness with kindness."
A moment later, an old woven basket came floating by.
Little Calf: "Old Basket! Please, tell Mr. Crocodile that he shouldn't eat me after I helped him!"Old Basket: "Alas, little Calf, the mat speaks the truth. When I was young, I carried sweet fruits and fresh bread for my master. But when I broke, they tossed me into the current. Expecting gratitude in this world will only break your heart."
Next, an elderly duck came swimming past, looking weary and tired. The Little Calf called out to him, but the old duck only shook his head.
Old Duck: "Do not count on fairness, Little Calf. I served my master for years, laying fresh eggs every morning. Yet yesterday, I overheard him planning to turn me into dinner! That is why I ran away. The world is cruel, little friend!"
With every answer, Mr. Crocodile’s grin grew wider, while the poor Little Calf felt his hope fading away.
Chapter 4: The Clever Visitor
Just as the Little Calf began to shed a tear, a lively rustling sounded from the bushes. Out hopped Si Kancil, the famous Mouse Deer, humming a tune with a sly twinkle in his eye.
Mr. Crocodile smirked, feeling completely confident that the Mouse Deer would take his side just like all the others.
Little Calf: "Oh, clever Mouse Deer! Please help me! I saved Mr. Crocodile from being crushed by a tree, but now he has caught my leg and wants to eat me!"Si Kancil: (scratching his head thoughtfully) "Hmm... this sounds like a very complicated situation. Before I can decide who is right, I must see the truth with my own eyes. I cannot judge fairly unless we recreate the exact moment it all began!"Mr. Crocodile: "Ha! That is easy enough. I am so confident in my rightness that I will show you!"Si Kancil: "Very well! Mr. Crocodile, please let go of the calf's leg for just a moment. Calf, push the heavy tree trunk back onto Mr. Crocodile's back, exactly as it was when you found him."
Eager to prove his point, Mr. Crocodile released his sharp grip. The Little Calf quickly pushed the heavy wooden log right back over the crocodile, pinning him firmly into the mud once more.
Si Kancil: "Ah... so, Mr. Crocodile, were you stuck just like this?"Mr. Crocodile: "Yes, exactly like this! Trapped tight and helpless under this very tree!"Si Kancil: "And Calf, were you standing over here, free and safe?"Little Calf: "Yes, Mouse Deer! Just like this!"
Chapter 5: Outsmarted!
Si Kancil leaned over and whispered softly into the Little Calf's ear.
Si Kancil: (whispering) "What are you waiting for, my friend? Run as fast as your legs can carry you!"
The Little Calf’s eyes lit up as he realized the Mouse Deer’s clever trick! Without losing a second, the Little Calf and Si Kancil bolted into the dense forest, leaving the foolish crocodile behind.
Mr. Crocodile: (struggling beneath the log) "Hey! Wait a minute! Calf! Mouse Deer! Where are you going? Hey! Come back here and lift this log off me! You trickster Mouse Deer, how dare you fool me!"Si Kancil: (calling back from the safety of the trees) "You brought this upon yourself, Mr. Crocodile! Kindness must never be repaid with treachery. Since you cannot be trusted, you can stay right there and think about your broken promises! Goodbye!"Little Calf: "Thank you, clever Mouse Deer! You saved my life!"
And so, the clever Mouse Deer and the Little Calf trotted back safely to the green meadow, leaving the ungrateful crocodile trapped under the tree. From that day on, the Little Calf always remembered his mother's wise advice—and he never trusted a sneaky crocodile ever again!
Give it a try! Help the Calf outsmart the cunning Crocodile with Kancil's clever trick.
More from Mouse Deer Stories:






No comments:
Post a Comment