Tuesday 18 August 2020

The Fairy Tale of the Mouse Deer Stealing Cucumbers

In a quiet village, live Pak Tani and his family. Everyday Pak Tani supports his family by farming and gardening. It has fields and gardens that are not very big. In his garden, Pak Tani grows various kinds of vegetables such as cucumbers, tomatoes, chilies, cassava and other vegetables. He and his family eat a small portion of the produce from his garden, while most of it is sold to the market.
The Fairy Tale of the Mouse Deer Stealing Cucumbers

Day and night Mr. Farmer keeps his garden from the hare's interference. He was already annoyed with the behavior of the hare, who often stole cucumbers in his garden. To prevent the Kancil from entering his garden, Pak Tani made a high enough fence.

The Mouse Deer Feel Hungry

One night, the hare felt hungry. "My stomach is rumbling. It's time to find food. I'm going to Pak Farmer's garden to eat delicious cucumber. If it is late at night, Pak Farmer will not be on guard in his garden. " said the hare.

He then jumped up and down to Pak Farmer's garden. Not only stealing the cucumber, Si Kancil also damaged the fence of Mr. Farmer's garden by kicking it. After his stomach felt full, Si Kancil left Pak Tani's garden, because he was afraid of being caught.

Pak Farmer Trapping The Mouse Deer

In the morning, as usual, Pak Tani went to his garden carrying a hoe while whistling. Pak Tani wanted to check that the cucumber garden could be harvested. But what a surprise Mr. Farmer saw that many of his cucumbers were missing.

"Ouch! Who destroyed my garden. Many cucumbers are missing, the fence is damaged. If you steal, why do you have to destroy the garden?"

Pak Tani returns home thinking about who did it.

"Usually the Kancil destroys my garden. I have to find a way to catch the Kancil." thought Mr. Farmer.

When he got home, Mr. Farmer immediately made a scarecrow to be used to trap the mouse deer. In the afternoon the scarecrow is finished. Pak Tani greased the rice fields with glue, the goal was to get the mouse deer trapped. Before nightfall, Pak Tani had installed a scarecrow in the middle of the garden.

The mouse deer is trapped by the farmer

That night, the hare returned to Pak Farmer's garden to steal cucumbers. As soon as he saw the scarecrow in the garden, The Mouse Deer burst out laughing.

"Ha ha ha ... it's just a scarecrow, it won't be possible to catch me. You can't even move. Pak Tani thinks I'll be afraid to see the scarecrow." said the hare, laughing out loud.

The hare then returned to eating the cucumber with gusto. When he finished eating, he approached the scarecrow.

"Even if I hit this scarecrow, he'll just keep quiet." The mouse deer muttered.

Then the hare kicked the scarecrow with his leg, "Thump!" The hare's feet clung to the scarecrow.

"Ouch! Why do my feet stick!" shouted the hare in surprise.

"Get off my legs ugly puppet!" shouted the hare.

The hare then hit again with his left leg.

"Thump!" now instead the two mouse deer feet stick to the scarecrow.

“Oh, it's outrageous that Pak Farmer put glue on this scarecrow. After eating cucumber, I should just go straight. " All night, the mouse deer cried because he could not move. He regretted why he had to kick a scarecrow. The adhesive that Pak Tani put on was very strong.

Pak Farmer Brings The Mouse Deer Home

In the morning Pak Tani came to check the condition of the garden while carrying a teak club. When he saw the mouse deer clinging to the scarecrow, Pak Tani was happy.

"This must be the one who stole the cucumber and damaged my garden. Finally you caught the hare." said the farmer.

"Forgive Mr. Farmer, my goodness. I only ate four cucumbers but it didn't damage your garden. Now please let go of me, dear Farmer. I promise I won't steal again." The hare begged for mercy.

"Shut up, you mouse deer! This is not the first time you have stolen cucumbers from my garden. How could I just believe what you say. " Pak Farmer did not just believe what Si Kancil said. He then released Si Kancil from the scarecrow & tied him to the house. When he got home, Mr. Farmer put Si Kancil in a chicken cage.

"You wait here Kancil. I'm going to the market to buy satay spices. I'll make you into a delicious satay. Not bad for dinner tonight." said the farmer.

The hare was surprised & very scared. "Forgive Mr. Farmer, I don't want to skewer. My meat is not good. Please let me go Mr. Farmer, please!" The hare begged him.

"That's punishment for you Mouse Deer for stealing & destroying my garden." Pak Tani is indifferent to the hare's whining.

"The one who destroyed your garden was the evil goat, Mr. Farmer. Not me! "said the hare.

Pak Tani immediately rushed to the market, didn't care at all.

The hare tricked the dog

After Pak Tani went to the market, a dog came to the hare. The dog was amazed to see the hare in a chicken cage.

"Hey Mouse Deer! Why are you confined there?" asked the dog to the mouse deer.

"Why don't you know hey dog? I'm about to marry Pak Tani's daughter. Now Pak Tani is going to the market to buy a wedding dress for me."

"Married? Seriously you are Kancil. You do not deserve to marry Pak Tani's daughter, Kancil !. Your body is small. I more deserve to marry Pak Tani's son." replied the dog.

"The proof is that I am now in this cage of chickens. Mr. Farmer told me to wait for him to marry me off to his daughter. Go there you don't disturb my marriage! You don't deserve to be Mr. Farmer's son in law." replied the hare.

The dog was angry with the hare. He wants himself to be Pak Tani's son-in-law. "You go deer, I'll be Mr. Farmer's son-in-law. If you don't want to replace it, I'll bite your neck then I'll eat your body." shouted the dog irritated.

"Don't be that dog ..! You can replace me to marry Mr. Farmer's son. Now release me from the cage." said the mouse deer pretending to be scared.

The dog then releases the cage by pushing it down. The hare came out, while the dog entered the cage to replace him.

"Congratulations dog now you are a prospective newlywed. Now I'm going dog." The hare rushed off to run into the forest.

"Go you Kancil!" said the dog.

Pak Tani Returns From the Market

Not long after, Pak Tani came home from the market with the satay seasoning. When he saw the dog in the cage, Pak Tani was surprised.

"What are you doing here, dog? Where's the mouse deer?" Pak Tani is very upset to see the hare not in the chicken cage.

"Sincerely, Pak Tani, Si Kancil gave up his right as a candidate for Pak Tani's son-in-law to me. He has fled to the forest. Now I am the future husband of Pak Tani's daughter." said the dog.

"What did you say dog? The mouse deer ran to the forest and you want to be my son-in-law?" shouted Mr. Farmer in a huff.

"Yes, Mr. Farmer, now I am Pak Tani's future son-in-law." replied the dog very happily

"The hare is insolent, wanting to be skewered even tricked the dog." Pak Tani said to himself.

"All right dog, now you get out of the cage. I'll be home for a while with my daughter." said the farmer.

The dog came out of his cage very happy.

Not long after that, Pak Tani came out of the house carrying a wooden club and immediately beat the dog.

"Here I will give you a bat! With great effort I caught the mouse deer eh you even let it go." shouted Mr. Farmer while beating the dog.

"Forgive Mr. Farmer ... my goodness ... I tricked the mouse deer Mr. Farmer ... Gosh ..." The dog screamed in pain.

Meanwhile, in the forest the hare was running fast while occasionally looking back, afraid that the dog might chase him from behind. But in his heart, the hare was amused because he managed to escape from Pak Farmer's cage by tricking the dog.

The fairy tale of the mouse deer stealing the cucumber is a famous story in Indonesia. Mouse deer are animals that like to forage at night. During the day the hare sleeps, although sometimes it comes out if his stomach feels hungry.

More on Mouse Deer Stories:

No comments:

Post a Comment