Sunday, 26 July 2020

Aji Saka Legend: Javanese Folktale & Origin of Hanacaraka

Aji Saka Legend Javanese Folktale & Origin of Hanacaraka

Chapter 1: The Cruel King of Medang Kemulan

Long, long ago, in the land of Central Java, there was a kingdom called Medang Kemulan. It was ruled by a king named Dewata Cengkar. But he was not a kind king. He was cruel and fierce, and worst of all, he liked to eat human flesh!

Every day, the king called for his loyal helper, Patih Jugul Muda.

Dewata Cengkar: "Patih Jugul Muda! I am hungry. Go and find me someone to eat today!"

Patih Jugul Muda: "As you wish, Your Majesty. I will go at once."

The poor villagers were terrified. Whenever they saw Patih Jugul Muda coming down the road, they ran home and hid. They locked their doors and shut their windows, and they trembled in the dark.

Chapter 2: A Brave Young Man

Far away, in a village called Medang Kawit, lived a kind and clever young man named Aji Saka. He had two faithful servants, Dora and Sembada, who went with him everywhere.

One day, news of the cruel king reached Aji Saka's ears. His heart felt heavy.

Aji Saka: "Dora, Sembada, the people of Medang Kemulan are suffering. We must help them."

Dora: "But, Master, the king is very dangerous!"

Aji Saka: "I know. But I cannot sit quietly while others are in trouble. Let us go!"

So the three of them set off for Medang Kemulan. They walked over hills and through forests until they reached the Kendeng Mountains. There, Aji Saka stopped and took out his most precious treasure, a heirloom kris, a special dagger passed down in his family.

Aji Saka: "Sembada, I want you to stay here and guard my kris. Do not give it to anyone. Only I may take it back. Do you promise?"

Sembada: "I promise, Master. I will guard your kris with my life. I will not hand it to anyone except you."

Aji Saka: "Thank you, my good friend. Dora and I will go on to Medang Kemulan."

Sembada bowed. Aji Saka and Dora waved goodbye and continued on their way.

Chapter 3: The Magic Turban

Not long after, Aji Saka and Dora met someone on the road. It was Patih Jugul Muda! He looked tired and worried, for he had searched everywhere and found no one to bring to the king.

Aji Saka: "Good day, Patih. Why do you look so troubled?"

Patih Jugul Muda: "Oh, young man, the king is waiting for his meal, and everyone has run away. I have no one to bring him."

Aji Saka smiled calmly.

Aji Saka: "Then do not worry, Patih. Take me to the king. I will be his meal."

Dora: "Master, no!"

Aji Saka: "Do not be afraid, Dora. I have a plan."

Patih Jugul Muda was overjoyed and led them straight to the palace. Soon Aji Saka stood before the fearsome king.

Dewata Cengkar: "Ha ha ha! A fine young man for my dinner! Tell me, boy, do you have any last wish before I eat you?"

Aji Saka: "Yes, Your Majesty. I ask only for a small piece of land, just as wide as my turban."

Dewata Cengkar: "Is that all? Ha ha ha! Very well, you may have it!"

Aji Saka slowly unwrapped his turban and laid it on the ground. Then something magical happened. The turban began to grow. It grew wider and wider, longer and longer. It spread across the palace floor, past the garden, and out over the whole of Medang Kemulan!

Dewata Cengkar: "What is this?! Stop it at once!"

But the turban would not stop. The king grew very angry, for he knew he had been tricked.

Dewata Cengkar: "You wicked boy! You dare to challenge me? I will destroy you!"

The king rushed at Aji Saka. But the magic turban wrapped itself around the cruel king, tighter and tighter. It rolled him up like a parcel and carried him all the way to the roaring waves of the great southern sea. And that was the end of King Dewata Cengkar.

Chapter 4: A New and Wise King

When the people of Medang Kemulan heard the news, they cheered and danced in the streets. At last, they were free from the cruel king!

The Villagers: "Hooray for Aji Saka! Thank you, brave young man! Please be our king!"

Aji Saka bowed humbly and accepted. From that day on, he ruled Medang Kemulan with kindness and wisdom, and the kingdom was peaceful and happy.

Chapter 5: The Promise of Dora and Sembada

One quiet evening, Aji Saka suddenly remembered something.

Aji Saka: "Oh dear! My heirloom kris! I left it with Sembada in the Kendeng Mountains."

He called for Dora at once.

Aji Saka: "Dora, please go to the Kendeng Mountains and bring my kris back to me."

Dora: "Yes, Master. I will return soon."

Dora traveled far until he reached the mountains. There he found his old friend Sembada, and the two hugged each other tightly.

Dora: "Sembada, my friend! I have missed you so much! Our master Aji Saka is now the king of Medang Kemulan!"

Sembada: "That is wonderful news! I am so happy for him!"

Dora: "He has sent me to fetch his kris. Please give it to me."

Sembada shook his head sadly.

Sembada: "I am sorry, Dora, but I cannot. Our master told me to give the kris to no one but himself. I made a promise."

Dora: "But I am his messenger! He sent me himself!"

Sembada: "I know, my friend. But a promise is a promise. Only Aji Saka may take it."

Both friends were loyal, and both were stubborn. Neither wanted to break the master's word. At last, they began to quarrel, and the quarrel turned into a fight. Dora and Sembada were equally strong, and neither could win. The battle went on and on, until at last both of them fell down, too hurt to stand.

Chapter 6: The Birth of the Javanese Script

Back at the palace, Aji Saka waited and waited, but Dora did not return. A worried feeling grew in his heart.

Aji Saka: "Something is wrong. I told Sembada to give the kris only to me. Oh no! I must hurry!"

He rushed to the Kendeng Mountains as fast as he could. But when he arrived, it was too late. His two faithful servants lay still on the ground.

Aji Saka's eyes filled with tears.

Aji Saka: "My dear friends, you were so loyal. You both kept my words, even to the very end. I am so sorry."

To honor Dora and Sembada, Aji Saka created a special set of letters, the Javanese script called Hanacaraka. Its letters tell the story of two servants who were loyal and brave, who fought bravely, and who were equally strong until the very end.

Since that day, people have remembered Aji Saka as the one who brought learning and civilization to Java. He gave them the Hanacaraka script and the Saka calendar, and the story of Dora and Sembada has been told again and again, from grandparents to children, for hundreds of years.

Now it's your turn! Follow Aji Saka's journey as he defeats King Dewata Cengkar, all the way to the birth of the Javanese script.

No comments:

Post a Comment