Friday, 3 July 2020

Legend of Joko Dolog: East Javanese Folktale for Kids

Legend of Joko Dolog East Javanese Folktale for Kids

Chapter 1: A Princess in a Pickle

Long, long ago, in the Duchy of Surabaya, there lived a kind and beautiful princess named Purbawati. She was the daughter of Duke Jayengrana, the ruler of Surabaya.

One morning, Purbawati received some very big news. Prince Situbondo, a mighty prince from the island of Madura, wanted to marry her! He was the son of Duke Cakraningrat, a good friend of her father.

Purbawati sighed and stared out of her window.

Purbawati: "Oh dear, what shall I do? My heart already belongs to someone else."

You see, Purbawati had fallen in love with a handsome young man named Jaka Taruna from the Duchy of Kediri. But how could she say no to Prince Situbondo? Her father and the Duke of Madura were the very best of friends.

Purbawati: "If I refuse the prince, his father might be very upset. Then Surabaya and Madura could become enemies. Oh, I couldn't bear that!"

The poor princess worried and worried. But then, a clever idea popped into her head.

Chapter 2: The Impossible Condition

Soon, Prince Situbondo sailed across the sea from Madura and arrived in Surabaya. He went straight to meet Purbawati and her father.

Prince Situbondo: "Good day, Duke Jayengrana! I have come to ask for Princess Purbawati's hand in marriage."

Duke Jayengrana stroked his chin. He wanted his daughter to be happy, so he gave her a kind smile.

Duke Jayengrana: "This is my daughter's decision, Prince Situbondo. Purbawati alone will choose."

Purbawati took a deep breath and stepped forward.

Purbawati: "Prince Situbondo, I will marry you on one condition. You must clear the great forest of Surabaya. It is a very spooky, haunted forest, but I want us and our children to live there one day."

Everyone gasped! No one dared to enter that haunted forest. But Prince Situbondo was proud, and he had strong magical powers.

Prince Situbondo: "Ha! That is nothing for me. I accept your condition, Princess!"

And off he marched into the haunted forest to begin his work.

Chapter 3: Another Prince Arrives

While Prince Situbondo was busy chopping and clearing, another visitor arrived in Surabaya. It was Jaka Taruna, the prince from Kediri!

When he heard that a prince from Madura was clearing the forest to win Purbawati's heart, Jaka Taruna was shocked. He hurried to meet the Duke.

Jaka Taruna: "Duke Jayengrana, I have loved Princess Purbawati for a very long time. Please, may I marry her too?"

Duke Jayengrana shook his head sadly.

Duke Jayengrana: "Oh, Jaka Taruna, why did you not come sooner? Now I can only leave the choice to my daughter."

So Purbawati gave Jaka Taruna the very same condition.

Purbawati: "Prince Jaka Taruna, if you wish to marry me, you must also help clear the haunted forest."

Jaka Taruna: "I will do it, Princess, for the sake of my love!"

Chapter 4: The Big Fight in the Forest

Jaka Taruna hurried into the forest and began to clear a spot right next to Prince Situbondo's. It was not long before the two princes met.

Prince Situbondo: "Hey! What are you doing in my forest?"

Jaka Taruna: "I am clearing the forest so I can marry Princess Purbawati."

Prince Situbondo's face turned red as a tomato. He was so angry that he leaped forward and attacked! The two princes fought fiercely with all their magical powers. Whoosh! Bang! Crash!

But Prince Situbondo was much stronger. With one mighty blow, he sent Jaka Taruna flying through the air. Thud! Poor Jaka Taruna landed high up in a tree and got stuck!

Prince Situbondo brushed off his hands and stomped away, leaving Jaka Taruna behind.

Jaka Taruna: "Help! Somebody, please help me!"

But the haunted forest was so quiet and so spooky that almost nobody ever passed by. No one heard his cries. Hours went by, and Jaka Taruna was still stuck.

Chapter 5: Jaka Jumput to the Rescue

After a very long time, a young man named Jaka Jumput wandered through the forest. He heard a tiny voice calling from above.

Jaka Jumput: "Hello? Is somebody up there?"

Jaka Taruna: "Yes! Please help me get down!"

Jaka Jumput climbed up and carefully freed him. Once Jaka Taruna was safe on the ground, he told Jaka Jumput the whole story.

Jaka Jumput: "Goodness! That sounds like a very rude prince."

Jaka Taruna: "Please, dear friend, will you help me defeat Prince Situbondo? If you win, I promise to give you anything you ask for!"

Jaka Jumput was a kind and brave young man. He nodded firmly.

Jaka Jumput: "I will help you, Jaka Taruna."

Chapter 6: Prince Situbondo Runs Away

Jaka Jumput marched through the forest until he found Prince Situbondo.

Jaka Jumput: "Prince Situbondo! I challenge you to a duel!"

Prince Situbondo: "What? Who are you? I have never even met you before!"

But Prince Situbondo was too proud to say no. The two of them began to fight, with all their strength and magic. Far away, Jaka Taruna watched from behind a tree.

The fight went on and on. Little by little, Prince Situbondo grew tired and out of breath. This young man was much tougher than he had expected!

Prince Situbondo: "Oh my... I cannot win against him. I must run!"

And off he ran, far to the eastern part of the Duchy of Surabaya. That place was later named Situbondo, in honor of the prince who ran away there.

Chapter 7: A Lie Told to the Duke

Jaka Taruna saw that Prince Situbondo was gone. Instead of thanking Jaka Jumput, he had a sneaky thought. He rushed off to see Duke Jayengrana and Purbawati.

Jaka Taruna: "Uncle Duke, I have defeated Prince Situbondo! He has fled to the east and will never return. Now, please allow me to marry Purbawati."

Oh, what a fib! That was not true at all!

But soon, Jaka Jumput arrived at the palace too. When he heard what Jaka Taruna had said, he was very upset.

Jaka Jumput: "Forgive me, Duke Jayengrana, but Prince Jaka Taruna is not telling the truth. I am the one who defeated Prince Situbondo!"

Jaka Taruna: "Don't believe him, Your Grace! He is a stranger. I am the one who won!"

Duke Jayengrana scratched his head. Who was telling the truth?

Duke Jayengrana: "If one of you really defeated Prince Situbondo, show me the proof!"

Jaka Jumput smiled and pulled out a shiny keris, a special dagger, from his belt.

Jaka Jumput: "This keris belongs to Prince Situbondo, Your Grace. It is proof that I defeated him."

Duke Jayengrana: "Yes, this is indeed Prince Situbondo's keris. Now, Jaka Taruna, what proof do you have?"

Jaka Taruna opened his mouth, but no words came out. He had no proof at all. He just stood there, quiet and ashamed.

Chapter 8: The Curse

Jaka Taruna felt his cheeks burning. His lie had been found out! But instead of saying sorry, he grew angry.

Jaka Taruna: "Why does everyone believe a stranger? Jaka Jumput, I challenge you to a duel! Let us see who is truly stronger!"

Duke Jayengrana: "Very well. Whoever wins this fight may marry my daughter, Purbawati."

The two young men began to fight. Jaka Taruna used his dagger, while Jaka Jumput used a magical whip called Kyai Gembolo Geni. At first, the fight was even. But soon, Jaka Taruna could not keep up with Jaka Jumput's magic.

Crack! The magical whip struck him, and Jaka Taruna tumbled to the ground. He was too weak to get up.

Duke Jayengrana: "Jaka Taruna, why did you lie to me? I am so disappointed in you."

Jaka Taruna said nothing. He just lay there, feeling very, very ashamed.

Duke Jayengrana: "Why don't you answer me? Why are you as silent as a statue?"

Then something strange and magical happened. The Duke's words became a curse! Slowly, Jaka Taruna's body grew stiff and hard, until he turned into a stone statue.

That statue was named Joko Dolog.

The Legend Lives On

Today, you can still visit the Joko Dolog statue in the city of Surabaya, East Java. Historians say it is a heritage from the Majapahit Kingdom. But according to the old folktale, it is the prince Jaka Taruna, who lost his fight and turned to stone because of one little lie.

The lesson of the story: Always tell the truth, even when it is hard. A lie may seem small, but it can cause big trouble!

Step right into the legend of Joko Dolog with this interactive game! Help Jaka Taruna and Jaka Jumput duel for love and honor, then see for yourself how a single lie becomes an eternal curse. Complete with voice narration and available in two languages — just scroll down and tap to begin your adventure.

More folklore on East Java:

No comments:

Post a Comment