Saturday, 25 July 2020

Hi Hi, I Already Know: East Java Folktale for Kids (Bedtime Story)

Hi Hi, I Already Know East Java Folktale for Kids (Bedtime Story)

Chapter 1: The Old Man's Last Gift

In the old days, there lived a poor old man with his little son. The boy's mother had passed away long, long ago, so the two of them had only each other.

Every evening, the old man would look at his young child and sigh with a heavy heart. He was growing weaker with each passing day.

"Oh, what will become of my little boy when I am gone?" he whispered sadly. "I have no gold, no land, and no house to leave him. All I have is the knowledge my teacher once gave to me."

One day, the old man felt in his bones that his time in this world was almost over. So he called his son to his bedside.

Father: "Son, come here. Your father wants to give you an inheritance."

Son: "An inheritance, Father? But we have nothing."

Father: "Ah, we have something very precious, my child. It is a magic charm, an aji-aji. Memorize it well, and one day it will bring you great honor."

The boy sat up straight and listened carefully.

Father: "Here are the words of the charm: Hi Hi, I Already Know. Say them again and again, and never forget them."

Son: "Hi Hi, I Already Know... Hi Hi, I Already Know..."

The old man smiled weakly and patted his son's head.

Father: "Very good, my child. Now listen to your father. I do not think I will live in this world much longer."

Hearing this, the little boy burst into tears.

Son: "Please don't leave me, Father!"

Chapter 2: The Journey to the Royal Capital

Three days later, the old man passed away. The little boy was now all alone in the world, and his heart was heavy with sorrow.

For many days he stayed by the empty hut, but each corner reminded him of his father.

Son: "I cannot stay here any longer," he said softly. "Perhaps if I go far away, my sadness will grow lighter."

So he packed his few belongings and set out for the royal capital. As he walked through the fields, over the hills, and along the winding paths, he chanted his father's words again and again.

Son: "Hi Hi, I Already Know... Hi Hi, I Already Know..."

He did not know what the charm was for. He did not know why his father had made him promise to remember it. But he loved his father dearly, so he kept chanting, step after step, day after day.

At last, after a very long journey, the boy arrived at the royal capital.

Chapter 3: A Hungry Boy at the Barber's Stall

The capital was busy and bustling, but the boy felt tiny and lost. His legs ached, his throat was dry, and his tummy rumbled loudly.

He went from person to person, asking politely for something to eat.

Son: "Excuse me, kind sir, may I please have a little food and water?"

But everyone hurried past. No one had time for a hungry little boy.

Son: "Please, madam, just a sip of water?"

Still, no one gave him anything. Tired and sad, the boy sat down to rest in front of a barber's stall, where a barber was busy shaving a customer.

But the boy did not know a very important secret. The man in the barber's chair was none other than the king himself!

The boy sat quietly, feeling hungrier and sleepier by the minute. Then he remembered his father's words.

Son: "Hi Hi, I Already Know!"

Chapter 4: The Secret Revealed

The moment the barber heard the boy's words, his hands began to tremble. His face turned as pale as rice flour, and the razor slipped from his fingers.

He threw himself at the king's feet.

Barber: "Forgive me, Your Majesty! Please, have mercy on me!"

King: "What is the matter? Why are you begging for mercy?" asked the king in astonishment.

Barber: "Your Majesty, I am only a messenger. The Prime Minister wants to become king himself. He ordered me to harm you today." The barber pointed a shaking finger at the boy. "But it seems this little boy already knows about the plot!"

But the boy knew nothing about any plot at all. He had only been repeating the words his father had taught him.

Chapter 5: A Reward for the Little Boy

The king was stunned by the barber's confession.

King: "Guards! Take this man to the prison at once!"

The palace guards quickly led the barber away. Then the king turned to the little boy with a warm smile.

King: "Come here, my child."

The boy stepped forward shyly.

King: "Thank you, my son. You have saved my life. In return, I shall give you many gifts."

Before long, the wicked Prime Minister was caught and punished for his terrible plan. Peace returned to the kingdom, and the boy was never hungry or lonely again.

And so ends the folktale from East Java about a child who obeyed his father's advice. Even though he did not understand it at the time, that obedience brought him safety, kindness, and a happy ending.

Source: I.B. Mantra, Astrid S., Susanto, B. Susanto, & S. Wibisono. Cerita Rakyat Daerah Jawa Timur [Folk Tales of East Java]. Departemen Pendidikan dan Kebudayaan (Ministry of Education and Culture).

More folklore from East Java:

2 comments: