Sunday, 2 August 2020

Anggun Nan Tongga: Minangkabau Folktale for Kids

Anggun Nan Tongga Minangkabau Folktale for Kids

Chapter 1: The Boy from Kampung Dalam

Long ago, in a village called Kampung Dalam in Pariaman, there lived a handsome young man named Anggun Nan Tongga Magek Jabang.

His mother, Ganto Sani, had passed away soon after he was born. His father had gone far away to Mount Ledang. So little Anggun was raised with great love by his mother's sister, Suto Suri, whom he called Mande.

As he grew up, Anggun became kind, clever, and brave. He could ride horses, he was skilled in martial arts, and he studied the Koran diligently.

Since he was little, Anggun had been promised to his cousin, the lovely Gondan Gondoriah, the daughter of his mother's brother.

Chapter 2: The Contest at Garinggiang River

One sunny morning, Anggun heard exciting news.

Villager: "Have you heard? Nangkodoh Baha is holding a contest at the Garinggiang River! The winner will marry his younger sister, Intan Korong!"

Anggun's eyes sparkled. He hurried to Mande Suto Suri.

Anggun Nan Tongga: "Mande, please allow me to join the contest at the Garinggiang River."

Mande Suto Suri: "Oh, my child, you are already promised to Gondan Gondoriah. Why would you join that contest?"

Anggun Nan Tongga: "Please, Mande. I only want to test my skills. I promise I will be careful."

Mande Suto Suri looked at his hopeful face and sighed. She could never say no to him for long.

Mande Suto Suri: "Very well, my child. Go, but keep your heart true."

At the river, Anggun joined every game. He played chess, he shot arrows, and he took part in the rooster-fighting match. He was so quick and clever that he won every single one!

Nangkodoh Baha grew red with embarrassment. He could not bear to lose, so he said something unkind.

Nangkodoh Baha: "Hmph! You may be clever, young man, but you could not even protect your own three uncles! Pirates have captured them on Binuang Sati Island!"

Anggun Nan Tongga: "What did you say? My uncles are prisoners?"

Anggun's heart pounded. He ran home at once.

Chapter 3: A Promise to Rescue the Uncles

Anggun Nan Tongga: "Mande! Gondan! I have terrible news. Pirates have captured my three uncles, Mangkudun Sati, Nangkodoh Rajo, and Katik Intan. I must rescue them!"

Mande Suto Suri gave him her blessing, though her eyes were full of worry.

Mande Suto Suri: "Go, my child. May you return safely."

Gondan Gondoriah gave her blessing too. But she also made a special request.

Gondan Gondoriah: "Kanda, if you wish to go, please bring me 120 gifts of rare things and animals. A parrot that can talk, a monkey that can play the harp, and a cloth that never gets wet in water."

Anggun Nan Tongga: "I will find them all, Gondan. I promise."

Soon the ship Dandang Panjang was ready, with Cik Ameh as its captain. Anggun's faithful friend Bujang Salamat sailed beside him. The waves rolled, the wind blew, and at last they reached Binuang Sati Island.

Chapter 4: The Battle on Binuang Sati Island

The king of the island heard of Anggun's arrival and sent a messenger to the shore.

Messenger: "Our king commands you to leave this island at once!"

Anggun Nan Tongga: "I will not leave until I find my uncles!"

And so a great battle began. Swords flashed and drums boomed. Bujang Salamat fought bravely and defeated the Bajau Commander, and soon the ruler of the island surrendered.

Anggun searched everywhere until he found his uncle Nangkodoh Rajo, locked inside a muddy pigsty!

Anggun Nan Tongga: "Uncle! You are safe now!"

Nangkodoh Rajo: "Anggun, my dear nephew! The other two uncles escaped during the sea battle. And I heard that the clever talking parrot you seek is in the city of Kuala Kota Tanau."

Anggun sent his helper, Malin Cik Ameh, back to Pariaman with good news. Then he and Bujang Salamat sailed on to Kuala Kota Tanau.

Chapter 5: The Trick of Malin Cik Ameh

Back in Pariaman, Malin Cik Ameh saw the beautiful Gondan Gondoriah. A selfish thought crept into his heart.

Malin Cik Ameh: "I am sorry to bring bad news. Anggun Nan Tongga has been captured by the Bajau Commander. Before that, he asked me to become the leader of Kampung Dalam."

The villagers believed him, and Malin Cik Ameh became their leader. Soon after, he sent a messenger to ask for Gondan's hand in marriage.

Gondan Gondoriah: "I cannot accept. My heart is still full of sorrow for Anggun Nan Tongga."

So the proposal was refused, and Malin Cik Ameh's trick did not work.

Chapter 6: The Parrot and the Princess

In Kuala Kota Tanau, Anggun found another of his uncles, who had become king of the city. There he also saw the talking parrot. It belonged to the king's daughter, Princess Andami Sutan.

Anggun Nan Tongga: "Princess, may I please have your wonderful parrot?"

Princess Andami Sutan: "I will give it to you, but only if you marry me."

Anggun thought long and hard. He needed the parrot, and so he agreed to marry the princess.

But one day the parrot slipped out of its cage and flew all the way to Pariaman. It landed beside Gondan Gondoriah.

Parrot: "Anggun Nan Tongga has married Princess Andami Sutan!"

Gondan Gondoriah: "Oh... how could he?"

Gondan's heart broke. From that day on, she did not want to see Anggun again.

Chapter 7: Coming Home

Far away, Anggun felt restless. He missed his home, his Mande, and Gondan Gondoriah. Though the princess was expecting a baby, his longing grew too strong, and he sailed back to Pariaman.

When Gondan heard he had returned, she ran away to Mount Ledang. Anggun chased after her.

Anggun Nan Tongga: "Gondan, please forgive me! Come home to Pariaman. I promise I will marry you."

Gondan looked into his sad, sincere eyes, and her anger melted away like morning mist.

Gondan Gondoriah: "All right, Kanda. I will come home."

Chapter 8: Together in the Sky

In Pariaman, Anggun, Gondan, and Bujang Salamat visited the wise Tuanku Haji Mudo to ask for his blessing.

Tuanku Haji Mudo: "My dears, I am sorry. You cannot marry in this world. When you were a baby, Anggun, you were nursed by Gondan's mother, so by our custom you are like brother and sister. But I believe you will be together in the afterlife."

Anggun and Gondan were very sad, but they understood.

Meanwhile, back in the village, Mande Suto Suri and Gondan's parents were worried. They sent people to search for the two. At last the searchers met Bujang Salamat.

Bujang Salamat: "Please do not worry. Anggun Nan Tongga, Gondan Gondoriah, and Tuanku Haji Mudo have risen up to the sky. They could not be together on earth, but they will be together forever above."

And that is why people in Pariaman, West Sumatra, still tell the story of Anggun Nan Tongga, the brave young man and his lovely Gondan Gondoriah, whose love lives on in the sky.

Experience the legend of Anggun Nan Tongga as an interactive story! Follow his journey to rescue his uncles, battle pirates, and his bittersweet love story with Gondan Gondoriah — complete with voice narration and mini-games in every chapter.

More Folklore on West Sumatra:

No comments:

Post a Comment