Chapter 1: The Prince Who Was Not Ready
Once upon a time, long, long ago, in the land of Central Java, there stood a grand kingdom called Jenggala. The king had a son named Raden Putra, and Raden Putra had a kind and lovely wife named Dewi Candra Kirana. Everyone in the kingdom said she was the most beautiful lady they had ever seen.
One bright morning, the old king called his son to the palace hall.
King: "My dear son, I am growing old. The time has come for you to take my place as the King of Jenggala."
Raden Putra bowed his head and thought for a long while.
Raden Putra: "Father, forgive me. I am not ready to become a king."
The king sighed, but he did not scold his son. That night, when the moon was high, Raden Putra quietly slipped out of the palace to find his own path. Sadly, he left without telling his wife.
Chapter 2: The Princess Goes Searching
When Dewi Candra Kirana woke up and found her husband gone, her heart felt heavy and sad.
Dewi Candra Kirana: "Where have you gone, my dear husband? I will find you, no matter how far I must walk."
So she took off her fine silks and jewels and dressed like a simple village girl. Then she left the palace and began her long journey. She walked through green fields, past singing rivers, and over dusty roads.
One evening, she met a wealthy widow named Mbok Randa Kawulus, who lived in a big house with her three daughters. They were called Kleting Abang, Kleting Wungu, and Kleting Biru.
Mbok Randa Kawulus: "Poor child, you look so tired. Where is your family?"Dewi Candra Kirana: "I have none, kind lady. I am only a traveler looking for someone I love."Mbok Randa Kawulus: "Then stay with us. From today, you shall be my youngest daughter. I will call you Kleting Kuning."
And so the princess became Kleting Kuning.
Chapter 3: The Jealous Sisters
Mbok Randa Kawulus loved her new daughter. But the three sisters did not. They saw how pretty Kleting Kuning was, even in plain clothes, and jealousy bubbled up inside them.
Kleting Abang: "Why does she look so lovely? It is not fair!"Kleting Wungu: "Let us give her the dirtiest clothes we can find!"Kleting Biru: "Yes! And we will make her do all the chores!"
From that day on, Kleting Kuning wore old, smelly rags. She swept, scrubbed, cooked, and carried heavy buckets from morning until night, while her sisters lay about doing nothing. She had so much work that she had no time to wash or take care of herself. Still, she never complained. She kept her chin up and kept hoping.
Chapter 4: The Handsome Young Man of Dadapan
One day, big news traveled through the village.
Mbok Randa Kawulus: "Girls, have you heard? Mbok Randa Dadapan has a handsome adopted son named Ande Ande Lumut. Many parents are bringing their daughters to meet him!"Kleting Abang: "Oh, Mother! May we go too?"Mbok Randa Kawulus: "Of course! One of you may become his wife. Go to Dadapan Village, my darlings. Kleting Kuning, you stay home and mind the house."
The three sisters put on their finest clothes. Kleting Abang wore red, Kleting Wungu wore purple, and Kleting Biru wore blue. They giggled and twirled all the way down the path.
Chapter 5: The Giant Crab by the River
Soon the sisters came to a wide, deep river. There was no bridge and no boat.
Kleting Biru: "Oh no! How will we cross?"
Just then, the water rippled and a giant crab climbed out onto the bank. It was Yuyu Kangkang!
Yuyu Kangkang: "I can carry you across the river. But first, you must give me a kiss."
The sisters did not stop to think. They only cared about reaching Ande Ande Lumut.
Kleting Abang: "Yes, yes! Just take us across!"
So the crab carried them over, and the sisters hurried to Dadapan Village. But Ande Ande Lumut looked at them and shook his head.
Ande Ande Lumut: "I am sorry, but I cannot marry you. You did not protect your honor when you crossed the river."
The three sisters stood there, red-faced and sad.
Chapter 6: Kleting Kuning Begs to Go
Back at home, Kleting Kuning had been thinking and hoping. Deep in her heart, she wondered whether Ande Ande Lumut might be her lost husband.
Kleting Kuning: "Mother, please let me go to Dadapan Village. I would like to meet Ande Ande Lumut."Mbok Randa Kawulus: "What? Look at yourself in the mirror! Your clothes are dirty and you smell terrible. He would never want you!"
But Kleting Kuning begged again and again, until at last Mbok Randa Kawulus grew tired of listening.
Mbok Randa Kawulus: "Oh, very well! Go, if you must."
Kleting Kuning had no pretty dress to wear, so she set off in her old, worn clothes.
Chapter 7: The Magic Stick
When Kleting Kuning reached the wide river, Yuyu Kangkang appeared again.
Yuyu Kangkang: "I can carry you across, but you must give me a kiss."Kleting Kuning: "Never! I will not do that. Go away, I do not need your help!"
Then she pulled out her special magic stick and struck the river with it. Whoosh! The water began to shrink and shrink until the riverbed was almost dry.
Yuyu Kangkang: "Help! Help! I cannot live without water! Please, bring the river back!"Kleting Kuning: "Will you carry me across without asking for a kiss?"Yuyu Kangkang: "I promise! I promise!"
Kleting Kuning struck the ground once more, and the water flowed back, cool and bright. True to his word, Yuyu Kangkang carried her safely to the other side.
Chapter 8: Ande Ande Lumut and the Smelly Girl
At last, Kleting Kuning arrived in Dadapan Village. There she saw her three sisters sitting sadly after being turned away. But when Ande Ande Lumut saw Kleting Kuning, he ran straight toward her with a happy smile.
Mbok Randa Dadapan could not believe her eyes.
Mbok Randa Dadapan: "My son, what is this? You turned away so many pretty girls, but now you run to a dirty, smelly one!"Ande Ande Lumut: "Mother, please do not judge her by how she looks. She protected her honor and refused the crab's kiss. She is the best wife for me."
Chapter 9: The Happy Ending
Kleting Kuning looked into the young man's eyes, and she knew at once who he was. In front of the whole crowd, she took off her disguise.
Kleting Kuning: "I am not Kleting Kuning. I am Dewi Candra Kirana, and you are my husband, Raden Putra!"
Everyone gasped. Then Ande Ande Lumut smiled and revealed his own disguise.
Ande Ande Lumut: "Yes, my dear wife. I am Raden Putra, Prince of Jenggala. I am so happy to find you again."
The people of Dadapan Village cheered. They stared in wonder at the beauty of Dewi Candra Kirana. The prince and princess hugged each other tightly, and from that day on, they lived together happily ever after.
Moral of the story: A good heart and honesty are worth more than beautiful clothes. Never judge someone only by how they look.
Give it a try! Follow Kleting Kuning's journey guarding her own dignity, all the way to meeting Ande Ande Lumut.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment