Chapter 1: The Princess of Teluk Dalam
Once upon a time, in the land of Teluk Dalam in North Sumatra, there lived a wise and powerful king named Raja Simangolong. He ruled his kingdom with care, and his people loved him dearly.
News of her beauty and goodness spread far and wide, all across the land. Many young men dreamed of asking for her hand in marriage. But Raja Simangolong had a special hope. He wanted his daughter to marry a prince from another kingdom, so that the two lands could become good friends and live together in peace.
Chapter 2: A Message from Aceh
One day, the story of Sri Pandan's beauty reached the faraway kingdom of Aceh. The Prince of Aceh listened with wide eyes and a happy heart.
Prince of Aceh: "I must ask for the hand of this wonderful princess!"
So the King of Aceh sent a royal messenger to Teluk Dalam, carrying the prince's proposal. When the messenger arrived at the palace, Raja Simangolong welcomed him warmly.
Raja Simangolong: "Welcome, honored messenger. I am very glad to receive you."
The king was delighted. He truly wished for his daughter to marry the Prince of Aceh. But he was also a loving father, and he did not want to force Sri Pandan to do anything against her heart.
Raja Simangolong: "I will send my answer to the Kingdom of Aceh once my daughter has decided whether she accepts the prince's proposal."
The messenger bowed politely and went on his way. Then the king called for his daughter.
Chapter 3: Sri Pandan's Secret
Sri Pandan came to her father right away.
Raja Simangolong: "My dear daughter, would you accept the proposal from the Prince of Aceh? Your father hopes you will say yes, so that our two kingdoms may become true friends."
Sri Pandan did not say a word. She bowed her head, and soft tears rolled down her cheeks.
Raja Simangolong: "What is the matter, my child? Why are you crying?"Sri Pandan: "Forgive me, Father. It is not that I do not wish to obey you. But I have loved someone else for a very long time, and I cannot forget him."Raja Simangolong: "Who is this young man you speak of?"Sri Pandan: "It is Hobat, Father."Raja Simangolong: "What? Hobat? Our loyal servant?"Sri Pandan: "Yes, Father. Hobat."
The king was very surprised, and his face grew stern. A princess loving a palace servant was not something he had ever imagined!
Raja Simangolong: "Listen well, my daughter. You must forget Hobat and accept the Prince of Aceh's proposal. If you refuse, I will send Hobat away from this kingdom forever."
Sri Pandan's heart felt heavy as a stone. She could not say another word.
Chapter 4: Hobat's Answer
That very same day, Sri Pandan hurried to find Hobat. Her eyes were red from crying.
Sri Pandan: "Hobat, for the sake of our love, let us leave this kingdom together!"Hobat: "Dear Sri Pandan, what is wrong? Why must we leave the palace? What about your mother and father?"Sri Pandan: "A messenger came from Aceh to ask for my hand. Father wants me to say yes so that our kingdoms can be friends. But we have loved each other for so long. Let us go far away from Teluk Dalam!"
Hobat was quiet for a moment. He was only a humble servant, and he cared deeply about the kingdom and about Sri Pandan's family. He shook his head sadly.
Hobat: "I cannot, Sri Pandan. You should accept the Prince of Aceh's proposal. It would be best for you, and best for all of Teluk Dalam. You would become a great queen."
Sri Pandan could hardly believe her ears. Her heart broke into a thousand pieces.
Sri Pandan: "Very well, Hobat, if that is what you wish. But I will never be the wife of a man I do not love. I will stay true to my love for you, and I will wait for you in the deep!"
With those words, Sri Pandan turned and ran away as fast as she could.
Hobat: "Wait, Sri Pandan! Please do not do anything rash!"
But Sri Pandan did not turn back.
Hobat: "Oh no, what shall I do? I love her so much! But who am I? Only a servant of the palace. I must tell the king, even if I am punished."
Chapter 5: The Leap into the Golden Pool
Sri Pandan ran to her room and packed some of her clothes. She gathered all of her shining gold jewelry too. Then she left the palace and walked all the way to the deep, dark pool in the Asahan River.
When she reached the edge of the water, she stood still for a long moment. Then, one by one, she threw her clothes and her golden jewelry into the deep water. The gold glittered in the sunlight as it sank.
Sri Pandan: "From this day on, there will be no more beautiful women in this land!"
And with that, Sri Pandan leaped into the deep pool of the Asahan River. She carried her love for Hobat with her, down into the deep.
Chapter 6: The King's Sorrow
Back at the palace, everyone was starting to worry. The king and queen could not find their daughter anywhere.
Raja Simangolong: "My dear wife, where is Sri Pandan? I have not seen her all day."The Queen: "I do not know, my husband. She is not in her room either! Please tell the soldiers to search for her. I am afraid something terrible has happened."Raja Simangolong: "Perhaps this has something to do with the Prince of Aceh's proposal, and with Hobat. Guards! Bring Hobat to me at once!"
Hobat came before the king, trembling with fear.
Raja Simangolong: "Hobat! You have always been a loyal servant of this kingdom. Do not dare to betray us now!"Hobat: "Forgive me, Your Majesty. I would never betray this kingdom."Raja Simangolong: "Then tell me the truth. Where is Sri Pandan? I already know about your love for my daughter."Hobat: "Forgive me, Your Majesty. It is true that Princess Sri Pandan and I love each other. She asked me to leave the kingdom with her, but I refused. I told her to accept the Prince of Aceh's proposal. She was very sad and said she would jump into the deep pool of the Asahan River."
The king's eyes grew wide with fright.
Raja Simangolong: "What? My daughter wants to jump into the Asahan River? Soldiers, hurry! Go to the river and save my daughter!"
Chapter 7: Why It Is Called Lubuk Emas
The king and all his soldiers rushed to the Asahan River. The soldiers dived into the deep water again and again, searching everywhere. But no matter how hard they tried, they could not find the princess.
Raja Simangolong stood by the water's edge, and his heart was full of sadness.
Raja Simangolong: "I love my daughter so very much. She was kind and good, and she always obeyed her parents. I am so sorry that I pushed her to accept the prince's proposal."
The king wept, and his tears fell into the river. But Sri Pandan never came back.
Since that day, the people of Teluk Dalam have called that deep pool Lubuk Emas, which means "the Golden Pool." They gave it this name because Sri Pandan had jumped in with all of her shining gold jewelry.
About the Asahan River
The Asahan River is the largest river in North Sumatra Province. It begins at Lake Toba, flows through the Sigura-gura Dam, and ends at Nibung Bay in the Strait of Malacca. The river is 147 kilometers long and has 6 main tributaries. It passes through the towns of Parapat, Porsea, Balige, Kisaran, and Tanjung Balai.
The Asahan River is famous for its swift, rocky currents and the beautiful forest along its banks, so many visitors come to go rafting there.
The legend of Lubuk Emas is a folktale connected to this river. It tells the love story of Sri Pandan, the princess of Teluk Dalam, and Hobat, a loyal royal servant. In the end, Sri Pandan chose to leap into the deep pool of the Asahan River to stay true to her love.
🎮 Play the Story! Experience Sri Pandan and Hobatan's tale of love firsthand through the interactive game below — complete with voice narration (mutable) and a choice of Indonesian or English. Click Sri Pandan's gold jewelry one by one before she leaps into the pool!
More folklore from North Sumatra:
- The Origin of the Palm Tree: A Folktale from Tanah Karo
- The Legend of Lake Toba: A Tale of Love, Promises, and Fate
- Ahmad and Muhammad: North Sumatra Folktale for Kids
- The Legend of Lubuk Emas: A North Sumatra Folktale for Kids
- Nai Manggale: The Legend of Si Gale-Gale from Lake Toba
- The Legend of Princess Runduk: Indonesian Story for Children
- Datu Dalu and Sangmaima: A North Sumatra Folktale
- Si Kantan Island: A Folktale from North Sumatra, Indonesia
- The Origin of Rice: Beru Dayang, an Indonesian Folktale from North Sumatra
- Kelana Sakti: The Farmer's Son Who Became a Hero of North Sumatra
- Snake Princess: The Tragic Indonesian Folktale of Simalungun
- Sampuraga Pond: Indonesian Folktale of a Cruel Son
- The Story Behind Simalungun's Name — A North Sumatra Folktale
- Puteri Hijau: The Legend of the Green Princess of North Sumatra, Indonesia
- Lau Kawar: The Heartbreaking Indonesian Legend of a Village Turned to Lake
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment