Long ago, in the beautiful land of North Tapanuli in North Sumatra, there lived two brothers named Datu Dalu and Sangmaima. Both were brave, clever, and wonderful at healing sick people.
Chapter 1: Two Brave Brothers
Datu Dalu was the older brother, and Sangmaima was the younger. Their mother and father were healers. Every day they walked deep into the forest to find special leaves, roots, and flowers, and then mixed them into medicine for the villagers.
Even though the family was poor, the father wanted to give his sons something better than gold: his skills. So from the time they were little, he taught the boys how to mix medicine and how to practice silat, the art of martial arts.
Father: "Listen well, my sons. A healer must be gentle, and a fighter must be wise."Datu Dalu: "Yes, Father. I will remember."Sangmaima: "Me too, Father! I will practice every day."
And so the two brothers grew up strong, skillful, and kind.
Chapter 2: The Day Mother and Father Did Not Come Home
One morning, the parents packed their baskets, as they always did, and got ready to go into the forest.
Father: "Datu Dalu, Sangmaima, Mother and I are going to look for medicinal plants. Stay safe at home, and take care of each other."Datu Dalu: "Yes, Father and Mother. Please be careful."Sangmaima: "Come home soon!"
The brothers waved goodbye. Usually their parents came home in the late afternoon. But that day, the sun sank low and the sky turned orange, and nobody came through the door.
Datu Dalu: "Sangmaima, my little brother, Mother and Father are not home yet. I am worried. Let's go find them."Sangmaima: "Yes, Brother. Let's go now."
They walked and walked through the tall, dark forest. At last they found their parents. Sadly, a fierce tiger had taken them away from this world. The brothers cried and cried. Then, with heavy hearts, they carried their parents home.
The kind villagers came to help. Together they gave the parents a gentle farewell.
Chapter 3: The Heirloom Spear
After the farewell, the brothers looked at what their parents had left behind. There was only one treasure: an old heirloom spear.
According to the custom of the village, the heirloom belongs to the eldest child. So the spear went to Datu Dalu.
Datu Dalu: "Sangmaima, this spear is all that Mother and Father left us. I will keep it safe."Sangmaima: "Yes, Brother. It is very precious."
Chapter 4: The Wild Boar Runs Away
One day, Sangmaima wanted to go hunting in the forest. But he had no spear of his own.
Sangmaima: "Brother, may I borrow our parents' heirloom spear? I want to hunt a wild boar."Datu Dalu: "You may. But remember, this spear is very special. Please take good care of it."Sangmaima: "Thank you, Brother. I promise I will!"
Sangmaima walked deep into the forest. Rustle, rustle! A wild boar dashed past right in front of him. Sangmaima threw the spear with all his might. Swish! The spear struck the boar's side. But the boar squealed and ran into the bushes, and the spear's sharp tip was still stuck in its body!
Sangmaima: "Oh no! The spear is gone! I must catch that boar quickly!"
He ran and ran until he found the wooden handle lying on the ground. But the sharp tip was still with the boar, and the boar was nowhere to be seen. Sangmaima searched everywhere until his legs grew tired. At last he sighed and walked home.
Sangmaima: "Brother, I am so sorry. The spear's tip is still stuck in the wild boar, and the boar ran away. I only brought back the handle."Datu Dalu: "What?! I told you to take good care of it! Go back and find the spear's tip. I don't want to hear any excuses!"Sangmaima: "Yes, Brother. I will find it."
Chapter 5: The Secret Palace
Sangmaima walked back into the forest, slowly and carefully. He looked at the ground, and he found the boar's footprints! He followed them and followed them, all the way to the middle of the forest. There, between the roots of a big tree, was a hole as wide as a cave.
Sangmaima: "Hmm, what is inside this cave? I am curious."
He stepped inside. And what do you think he saw? A shining, beautiful palace, hidden deep underground!
Sangmaima: "Wow! Who built such a magnificent palace in a place like this?"
He tiptoed forward. Then he heard a soft moan. A beautiful young woman was lying down, holding her stomach. And stuck in her side was the tip of his brother's spear!
Sangmaima: "Oh, dear lady! Who are you?"Princess: "I am a princess. My father is the king who rules this palace."Sangmaima: "But that spearhead is the one I threw at a wild boar just now!"Princess: "Yes. The wild boar you threw it at was me."
Chapter 6: The Princess Is Healed
Sangmaima felt terrible.
Sangmaima: "I am so sorry, Princess! I did not know the wild boar was you. Please let me help. My father taught me how to make medicine, and I can heal your wound."Princess: "Thank you, kind stranger. Please, help me. It hurts so much."
Sangmaima carefully took out the spearhead. Then he used all the healing skills his father had taught him. Soon the wound closed, and the princess was smiling again.
Princess: "I feel so much better now. Thank you, brave healer!"Sangmaima: "I am glad, Princess. Now I must go home and give this spearhead back to my brother."
He said goodbye and hurried home.
Chapter 7: Two Parties on the Same Day
Sangmaima gave the spear back to Datu Dalu, and Datu Dalu was overjoyed.
Datu Dalu: "My heirloom spear is back! I must celebrate. I will hold a big party!"
He invited everyone in the village to his party. Everyone, that is, except Sangmaima.
Sangmaima felt sad and a little bit upset.
Sangmaima: "My brother did not invite me, even though I brought the spear back. Well, then I will hold a party of my own. And it will be wonderful!"
To make his party extra special, Sangmaima prepared a surprise. He dressed a woman in beautiful feathers and colors until she looked just like an Ernga bird, and she performed a magical bird dance.
The villagers loved the show! They clapped and cheered and left Datu Dalu's party one by one to see the Ernga bird. Soon Datu Dalu's house was quiet, with almost no guests at all.
Chapter 8: Borrowing the Ernga Bird Woman
Datu Dalu felt very disappointed. When he found out why, he decided to ask his brother for help.
Datu Dalu: "Sangmaima, my little brother, may I borrow your Ernga bird show for my party?"Sangmaima: "Of course, Brother. But you must take good care of the Ernga bird woman. Don't lose her."Datu Dalu: "Don't worry. I will watch over her carefully."
That evening, the Ernga bird woman danced at Datu Dalu's house. The guests came back, laughing and cheering. Datu Dalu was very happy.
But Sangmaima had a little plan. He quietly climbed up into the ceiling of his brother's house and waited until the party was over. When everyone had gone to sleep, he whispered to the Ernga bird woman.
Sangmaima: "Psst! Tomorrow morning, please slip away quietly, so my brother will think you are missing."Ernga Bird Woman: "All right, sir. I will leave tomorrow morning."
Chapter 9: The Missing Ernga Bird Woman
When the sun rose, Datu Dalu looked around his house. The Ernga bird woman was gone!
Datu Dalu: "Oh no! Where is she? My brother is going to be so angry!"
Just then, Sangmaima knocked on the door.
Sangmaima: "Good morning, Brother. I came to take the Ernga bird woman home."Datu Dalu: "Oh, Sangmaima, please forgive me. She is missing! I don't know where she went. What if I pay you with money instead?"Sangmaima: "Money cannot replace her. You must find her, Brother, no matter what."
Chapter 10: The Big Quarrel
Datu Dalu grew upset, and Sangmaima grew upset too. Their words got louder and louder, until the two brothers began to fight. They used the silat moves their father had once taught them, with kicks, spins, and quick dodges.
But they were so evenly matched that neither one could win. The fight went on and on.
At last, Datu Dalu grabbed a big wooden mortar, the kind used for pounding rice, and threw it with all his strength.
Datu Dalu: "Take this!"Sangmaima: "Whoa!"
Sangmaima jumped aside. The mortar sailed through the air, floated far away, and landed in Sangmaima's village. And then something magical happened! Where the mortar landed, water began to bubble up and spread out until it became a big, sparkling lake.
Sangmaima: "Now it's my turn, Brother!"
Sangmaima picked up a wide plate and threw it with all his might. Datu Dalu ducked. The plate floated over the hills and landed in Datu Dalu's village. Once again, something magical happened! Where the plate landed, water spread out and became another shining lake.
Chapter 11: The Two Lakes
The villagers looked at the two new lakes in wonder. They gave them names to remember the story forever.
The lake in Sangmaima's village was named Lake Si Losung, because it came from the mortar (losung). The lake in Datu Dalu's village was named Lake Si Pinggan, because it came from the plate (pinggan).
To this day, the two lakes rest quietly in North Tapanuli Regency, North Sumatra, reminding everyone of the two brothers, Datu Dalu and Sangmaima.
🌟 Moral of the Story
Brothers and sisters should look after each other, share happiness, and forgive one another. A small misunderstanding can grow into a big quarrel if we do not talk kindly.
Reference:
Syamsuri, Maulana. n.d. Lake Toba and Samosir Island with Some North Sumatra Fairy Tales. Surabaya: Greisinda Press.
Want to experience the story of Datu Dalu and Sangmaima firsthand? Play the interactive game below! Follow Sangmaima as he hunts a wild boar, heals a princess in a hidden palace, and witnesses the magical moment when a mortar and a plate transform into lakes. Complete with voice narration and an Indonesian/English language toggle.
- The Origin of the Palm Tree: A Folktale from Tanah Karo
- The Legend of Lake Toba: A Tale of Love, Promises, and Fate
- Ahmad and Muhammad: North Sumatra Folktale for Kids
- The Legend of Lubuk Emas: A North Sumatra Folktale for Kids
- Nai Manggale: The Legend of Si Gale-Gale from Lake Toba
- The Legend of Princess Runduk: Indonesian Story for Children
- Datu Dalu and Sangmaima: A North Sumatra Folktale
- Si Kantan Island: A Folktale from North Sumatra, Indonesia
- The Origin of Rice: Beru Dayang, an Indonesian Folktale from North Sumatra
- Kelana Sakti: The Farmer's Son Who Became a Hero of North Sumatra
- Snake Princess: The Tragic Indonesian Folktale of Simalungun
- Sampuraga Pond: Indonesian Folktale of a Cruel Son
- The Story Behind Simalungun's Name — A North Sumatra Folktale
- Puteri Hijau: The Legend of the Green Princess of North Sumatra, Indonesia
- Lau Kawar: The Heartbreaking Indonesian Legend of a Village Turned to Lake
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment