Chapter 1: A Wish Answered
Long, long ago, in a quiet village in Japan, there lived a husband and wife who loved each other very much. They had a warm little home, a small rice field, and kind neighbors — yet there was one thing missing that made their hearts feel empty. They had no child to hold, no little one to sing to at night.
Every day, the couple walked to the old temple nearby and prayed with all their hearts.
Wife: "Please, dear gods, grant us a child, even a tiny one. We will love him with all our souls."Husband: "Yes, even the smallest child would fill our home with joy."
One evening, after their prayers were finished, the couple walked slowly home beneath the darkening sky. But just as they passed a cluster of bushes near the path, they heard something strange — a tiny, tiny cry, like the mewing of a kitten, yet somehow it sounded like a baby.
Wife: "Husband, did you hear that? It sounds like... a baby crying!"Husband: "I heard it too! But where could it be coming from?"
They knelt down and searched through the leaves and grass, and there — nestled ever so gently among the blades of grass — lay the smallest baby they had ever seen. He was no bigger than a thumb!
Wife: "Oh my goodness! Look how tiny he is!"Husband: "It must be a gift from the temple gods, answering our prayers at last."
The wife lifted the baby into her hands as carefully as if she were holding a butterfly. The tiny baby looked up at her with bright round eyes and gurgled happily.
Wife: "He's so precious. Husband, can we keep him? Can he be our very own son?"Husband: "Of course. From this day forward, he belongs to our family."
And so the couple adopted the little baby and brought him home with joyful hearts, believing that their long years of prayer had finally been answered.
Chapter 2: The Boy Who Never Grew
The husband and wife raised their tiny son with all the love they had saved up over the years. They fed him, sang to him, and tucked him into a bed made from a walnut shell. Yet as the months passed, and then the years, something curious happened — the boy never grew any bigger. He remained exactly as tall as he had been on the day they found him: about one sun, an old Japanese unit of measurement equal to roughly three centimeters.
Because of his tiny size, the couple named him Issun Boshi — which means "One-Sun Boy," or in simpler words, "Little One-Inch Boy."
Despite his small stature, Issun Boshi grew into a cheerful and good-hearted young man. He never once felt sad or ashamed about his height. He laughed easily, worked hard, and always looked at the world with wonder and courage.
Issun Boshi: "Mother, Father, even though I am small, I feel my heart is big enough for the whole world!"Mother: "That's exactly right, my son. It is not the size of the body that matters, but the size of the courage inside it."
Chapter 3: A Journey Begins
As Issun Boshi grew older — not in height, but in spirit — a great longing stirred inside him. He wanted to see the world beyond his small village, to test his courage, and to find his own path in life.
One evening, he sat before his parents and bowed respectfully.
Issun Boshi: "Mother, Father, I have something important to ask. I wish to leave home and go out into the world. I want to see new places and learn to stand on my own."
The parents were startled. Their hearts ached at the thought of losing their beloved son, especially one so small and seemingly fragile.
Father: "But my son, the world outside is vast and full of danger. How will someone as small as you survive out there?"Issun Boshi: "I may be small, Father, but I have courage as tall as any mountain. Please, let me go. I promise I will take care of myself."Mother: (wiping away tears) "If this is truly what your heart desires, then we will not stand in your way. But you must promise to be careful, always."Issun Boshi: "I promise, Mother. I will carry your love with me wherever I go."
With heavy hearts but proud smiles, the parents agreed to let their son go. Before he left, his mother gave him three special gifts to help him on his journey.
Mother: "Take this rice bowl — it shall be your boat to sail upon the rivers. Take these chopsticks — they shall be your oars to row with. And take this sewing needle — it shall be your sword, to protect you from harm."
Issun Boshi accepted the gifts with a grateful bow, holding them as if they were the finest treasures in the world.
Issun Boshi: "Thank you, Mother and Father. Thank you for raising me with so much love and patience. I will always carry you both in my heart, no matter how far I travel."
And with that, the little hero set off down the road, his rice-bowl boat under one arm and his needle-sword at his side, ready to meet whatever adventure awaited him.
Chapter 4: Down the River
Issun Boshi walked until he reached the edge of a wide, flowing river. Carefully, he set his rice bowl upon the water, climbed inside, and picked up his chopstick oars.
Issun Boshi: "Here I go! To the great world beyond!"
He paddled steadily, watching the trees and hills drift past on either bank. The river sparkled under the sun, and for a while, everything felt peaceful and grand.
But suddenly — splash! — a large frog leapt from the opposite bank and landed right beside his tiny boat, sending a wave crashing over the rim!
Issun Boshi: "Whoa! Look out!"
The little bowl-boat tipped over, and Issun Boshi tumbled straight into the river! He kicked and paddled with all his might, refusing to give up even as the current pulled at him.
Issun Boshi: (sputtering) "I will not be defeated by a river and a frog! I must swim on!"
With great effort, he swam toward the riverbank and, at last, pulled himself up onto the dry grass, soaked but safe.
Issun Boshi: (catching his breath) "That was quite an adventure already... and my journey has only just begun!"
Chapter 5: The Grand Palace
After resting a while to dry off in the warm sunshine, Issun Boshi looked up and gasped in amazement. Before him stood the most magnificent building he had ever seen — tall towers, curved rooftops, and golden banners fluttering in the breeze.
Issun Boshi: "What a splendid place! It must be a royal palace!"
Filled with curiosity and hope, Issun Boshi walked bravely toward the entrance, thinking that perhaps he could find work there.
In the courtyard, the king happened to be taking a leisurely stroll. Suddenly, he heard a small voice calling out — but he could not tell where it came from.
Issun Boshi: "Excuse me, kind sir! May I please work here?"King: (looking around, puzzled) "Hmm? Who said that? Where is this voice coming from?"Issun Boshi: "Down here, sir! By your feet!"
The king looked down and gasped in surprise. There, standing no taller than his sandal, was a tiny young man holding a sewing needle like a sword.
King: "Goodness me! Is that voice truly coming from you, little one?"Issun Boshi: (smiling brightly) "Yes, Your Majesty! My name is Issun Boshi. I may be small, but I have traveled far, and I am hoping you might have some work for me."
The king scratched his chin thoughtfully, wondering what sort of task such a tiny person could possibly perform.
Issun Boshi: "I know I am small, Your Majesty, but I have trained hard, and I am skilled in the art of protecting others. Please, allow me to prove my worth."King: (smiling kindly) "Very well then. I shall not make you my own bodyguard, but rather — the bodyguard of my daughter, the princess."Issun Boshi: (bowing deeply) "Thank you, Your Majesty! I will protect the princess with all my heart and all my courage!"
Chapter 6: A New Friendship
Issun Boshi was soon introduced to the princess, a gentle and kind-hearted young woman. Unlike many others, she never once mocked or pitied Issun Boshi for his tiny size. Instead, she welcomed him warmly, and the two quickly became the very best of friends.
Princess: "It's wonderful to meet you, Issun Boshi. I've never met anyone quite like you before!"Issun Boshi: "And I've never met a princess as kind as you, Your Highness. I promise to protect you, no matter what dangers may come."Princess: "I believe you. Something tells me your heart is far bigger than your body."
Day after day, the two grew closer, walking together through the palace gardens and sharing stories, laughter, and dreams.
Chapter 7: The Green Oni
One calm afternoon, the princess asked Issun Boshi to accompany her to the temple to offer her prayers, just as his own parents once had. As they walked along the quiet path, neither of them noticed a fearsome shadow lurking behind the temple gates — a terrifying green oni, wielding a magical hammer, who had been watching the princess with wicked intent.
Suddenly, the oni leapt out from the shadows, reaching out to snatch the princess away!
Princess: "Ahh! Help me!"Issun Boshi: "Not while I'm here to protect you!"
Without a moment's hesitation, brave Issun Boshi drew his needle-sword and charged straight at the towering demon. The oni swung his massive hammer, but Issun Boshi was far too quick and far too clever. He darted between the monster's feet, climbed swiftly up its leg, scrambled across its shoulder, and leapt right onto its enormous head!
Issun Boshi: "You'll have to catch me first, oni!"
With one final burst of courage, Issun Boshi jumped straight into the oni's gaping mouth and began jabbing furiously with his needle-sword from the inside!
Oni: "OWWWW! Get out! Get out of my mouth, tiny warrior!"
The oni howled in agony, clutching at its face as blood dripped from its lips. Terrified and defeated, the monster turned and fled into the forest as fast as its legs could carry it — but in its panic, it left its magical hammer lying on the ground.
Princess: "Issun Boshi! You did it — you saved me!"Issun Boshi: (panting, but grinning proudly) "I told you, Princess. I may be small, but I will always protect you."
Chapter 8: The Magic Hammer
The princess knelt down and picked up the oni's magical hammer, her eyes wide with wonder. She had heard the old legends — that this very hammer had the power to grant any wish to whoever held it.
Princess: "Issun Boshi, this is the legendary magic hammer! It's said to grant any wish in the world. Let me use it... for you."
She closed her eyes, held the hammer high, and spoke with all her heart.
Princess: "Oh great hammer, hear my humble wish. Please, let Issun Boshi grow to have the body of a full-grown man!"
She gave the hammer a gentle wave — and in an instant, a brilliant light surrounded Issun Boshi from head to toe!
When the light faded, the princess gasped. Standing before her was no longer a tiny one-inch boy, but a tall, handsome young man with kind eyes and a warm smile — yet somehow, she could still recognize the same brave spirit shining through.
Issun Boshi: (looking at his own hands in astonishment) "Princess... look at me! I... I have a normal body! Is this truly happening?"Princess: (smiling through happy tears) "It's real, Issun Boshi! You did it — no, we did it, together!"Issun Boshi: "Thank you, Princess. You have given me the greatest gift of all. I will never forget your kindness."
Chapter 9: A Happily Ever After
Together, the princess and the newly tall Issun Boshi returned to the palace, hand in hand. When the king saw his daughter walking beside a tall, handsome stranger, he could hardly believe his eyes.
King: "My daughter! Who is this young man beside you?"Princess: "Father, don't you recognize him? This is Issun Boshi! The magic hammer granted him a new body, after he bravely saved me from the green oni!"
The king stared in disbelief, then broke into a joyful laugh, embracing them both.
King: "Well then! It seems fate has brought you two together in more ways than one. Issun Boshi, you have shown more courage than any warrior twice your size. Would you do me the honor of marrying my daughter?"Issun Boshi: (bowing low, his heart full) "Your Majesty, nothing would make me happier. I promise to love and protect the princess for the rest of my life."Princess: "And I promise the very same to you, Issun Boshi."
And so, with the whole kingdom celebrating, Issun Boshi and the princess were married in a grand and joyful ceremony. They lived together happily ever after, ruling the kingdom with kindness, courage, and love.
The Moral of the Story
The tale of Issun Boshi teaches us a wonderful lesson: our size, our appearance, or our differences should never stop us from doing good, being brave, and chasing our dreams. What truly matters is the courage and kindness inside our hearts. No matter how small we may seem, we can still achieve great and wonderful things — if only we believe in ourselves.
Thank you for reading this folktale from Japan! Come back soon for more magical stories.
Help Issun Boshi on his journey! Ring the temple bell, pack his travel bag, row his little bowl-boat, and defeat the green oni to save the princess — all playable right here, complete with voice narration.
- Urashima Taro: A Japanese Folktale of the Fisherman and the Magic Turtle
- The Peach Boy Momotaro – A Japanese Folktale Story for Kids
- Tanabata Legend: The Heavenly Princess Who Married a Mortal Man
- Issun Boshi — The One-Inch Samurai Boy (Japanese Folktale)
- The Straw Millionaire – Japanese Folktale About Kindness & Fortune
%20c%20(1).jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment