Chapter 1: A Happy Family by the Sea
Long, long ago, in a land called Sulawesi, there lived a father, a mother, and their three children. Their little house stood close to the shore, where the waves sang softly all day long.
Every day, the family worked hard to take care of each other. The father and mother caught fish in the sea, and they also grew green vegetables in their field. Every morning, before the father went to the field, the whole family sat together and ate breakfast. They laughed and chatted, and everyone felt warm and happy.
Chapter 2: The Missing Fish
One morning, the family had a big catch of fish. There was so much that they could not finish it all in one meal.
Father: "Dear wife, please save some of the fish for me. I will eat it when I come home from the field."Mother: "Of course, Husband. I will keep it safe for you."
After breakfast, the father went to work in the field. The children played outside under the bright sun. They ran along the sand, chased the crabs, and splashed in the water.
When the sun was high in the sky, the youngest child came running home. His tummy was rumbling loudly.
Youngest Child: "Mother, I am so hungry! May I have something to eat?"
His mother smiled and gave him a plate of warm rice with a piece of fish. The little boy gobbled it up. But he was still hungry.
Youngest Child: "Mother, may I have some more, please? My tummy is still empty."
The mother looked at the pot. Only a little fish was left, and she remembered her husband's words. But her youngest son kept begging, and he looked so hungry. In the end, her kind heart could not say no.
Mother: "All right, my dear. Eat as much as you need."
And so, the little boy ate up all the fish.
Chapter 3: A Very Angry Father
In the evening, the father came home. His clothes were dusty, and he was tired and very hungry.
Father: "Wife, I am home! Where is the fish I asked you to save for me? I am so hungry."
The mother lowered her head sadly.
Mother: "I am so sorry, Husband. Our youngest son was very hungry, so he ate all of it."Father: "What? Did I not tell you to save some fish for me?"Mother: "He was starving, Husband. He had been playing all day long. I could not let him go hungry."
But the father would not listen. His face turned red, and his voice grew louder and louder. He kept scolding his wife, again and again.
The mother felt very sad. Tears rolled down her cheeks. It was not the first time her husband had been so angry, and her heart felt heavy.
Chapter 4: The Mother Goes to the Sea
That night, when the whole family was fast asleep, the mother tiptoed out of the house. The moon shone softly over the water. With tears in her eyes, she walked down to the beach and went into the sea.
The next morning, the father and the children woke up and could not find her anywhere.
Eldest Child: "Mother! Where are you?"Youngest Child: "Mother! Please come out!"
The children ran along the beach, calling and calling. Then, from the sea, they heard a gentle voice.
Mother: "My children, I am here."
The children were so happy! They splashed into the shallow water and found their mother there.
Eldest Child: "Mother, please come home with us!"
The mother looked at them with loving eyes, but she shook her head.
Mother: "I cannot go back, my darlings. My heart is too sad. But I have a gift for you."
She gave them many, many fish to take home. The children hugged her tightly. Then, with heavy hearts, they carried the fish home without their mother.
Chapter 5: A Father Who Did Not Care
When they got home, the children told their father everything.
Eldest Child: "Father, we found Mother in the sea! She gave us all this fish."
The father only looked at the fish. He did not ask how their mother was. He did not even say he was sorry.
Father: "Grill the fish for our meal. And after eating, save some for lunch."
At lunchtime, the family sat down to eat. The children looked at the empty place where their mother used to sit.
Middle Child: "Father, please save a little fish for Mother."Father: "Why should I save fish for your mother? She did not save any fish for me."
The children fell silent. Their eyes filled with tears. They felt so sad that their father did not miss their mother at all.
Chapter 6: The Mother with Scales
The next day, the children went back to the beach to look for their mother. They walked all day long, calling her name. Then they heard a soft voice.
Mother: "Children, come here. It is I, your mother."
The children followed the voice. But when they saw her, they gasped. Their mother's body was covered in shiny fish scales, just like a mermaid fish!
The children were frightened. They stepped back, and their hearts pounded.
Youngest Child: "No! You are not our mother. Our mother does not have scales!"
The children turned and ran away, calling for their mother in other places.
The mother watched them go, and her heart broke. She knew she could never go home again. Slowly, she slipped back into the deep blue sea, and she never returned.
This is the folktale of the people of Central Sulawesi about how the mermaid fish came to be. It tells of a mother who left her family because her heart was hurt by angry words.
Moral of the story: Always speak kindly to the people we love, because harsh words can hurt more than we realize.
- Origin of the Mermaid Fish: Central Sulawesi Folktale for Kids
- Tadulako Bulili: A Central Sulawesi Folktale of Courage
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment