Chapter 1: A Panicked Night in Sawjatami Village
Once upon a time, nestled in the lush and beautiful Sawjatami Village of Jayapura, Papua, lived a kind husband and wife. The husband’s name was Towjatuwa. They were a very happy couple, excitedly waiting for the birth of their first child. However, one fateful night, a great worry cast a dark shadow over their small home. Towjatuwa's wife was in severe pain, shivering and struggling, yet the baby simply refused to come out into the world.
Heartbroken and terrified for his dear wife, Towjatuwa ran as fast as his legs could carry him into the dark village to find the wise shaman grandmother.
Towjatuwa: "Grandma! Grandma, please open the door! My wife is about to give birth, but the baby won't come out. She is in terrible pain and shivering so much. Please, Grandma, you must help us!"Grandma Shaman: "Hush now, young man, try to catch your breath. I will pack my medicine pouch and healing herbs right away. You run back home to comfort your wife, and I will follow right behind you."
The kind old shaman quickly gathered her remedies and hurried to Towjatuwa’s house. Upon arriving, she saw that the poor wife was indeed in a very difficult condition. She gently examined her while Towjatuwa paced the floor, his heart pounding like a drum.
Grandma Shaman: "Towjatuwa, my dear boy, the baby in your wife's tummy is very large and strong, making it too difficult to be born naturally."Towjatuwa: "Oh no! Then what should I do, Grandma? Please tell me, I will do anything!"Grandma Shaman: "Listen carefully. To help your wife safely deliver this big baby, I need special water grass. You must go and find this water grass growing in the deep waters of the Tami River."
Chapter 2: The Search at Tami River
Without wasting a single second, Towjatuwa dashed out into the night toward the Tami River. Luckily, the river was not too far from his home. He waded into the cool water, searching under the moonlight for the special grass.
After searching high and low along the muddy banks, he heard a strange, rumbling sound. He peeked through the tall reeds and gasped! There, trapped by the rocky shore, was an enormous crocodile. But this was no ordinary crocodile—it had beautiful, thick feathers on its back, just like a grand cassowary bird! Towjatuwa was so shocked and frightened that he turned around to run away.
Watuwe: "Wait, young man! Please, do not run away!"
Towjatuwa froze in his tracks. He slowly turned around, his eyes wide with absolute disbelief.
Towjatuwa: "Are... are you, O mighty crocodile, talking to me?"Watuwe: "That is right, young man. Do not be afraid. My name is Watuwe, and I am the magic ruler of the Tami River. Sadly, I am trapped. Can you please help me lift this giant rock that is crushing my tail?"
Seeing the sadness in the great creature's eyes, Towjatuwa forgot his fear.
Towjatuwa: "Of course, I will help you, Watuwe."
With a loud grunt, Towjatuwa pushed and pushed until the heavy rock finally rolled off the crocodile's tail. As soon as the giant beast was free, Towjatuwa immediately turned to leave.
Watuwe: "Wait a moment, kind young man. Where are you rushing off to in the middle of the night?"Towjatuwa: "I am so sorry, Watuwe, but I must hurry. My wife is trying to give birth, and her life is in danger. I came here to find special water grass for the village shaman so she can save my family."
Chapter 3: The Magic Crocodile's Promise
Watuwe the magic crocodile looked at Towjatuwa with gentle, glowing eyes. He was deeply moved by the young man's bravery and love for his wife.
Watuwe: "You have a kind heart, Towjatuwa. You saved me, and now I shall save your family. Go home right now, and do not worry about the water grass anymore. I promise I will come to your house tonight and use my magic to help your wife."Towjatuwa: "Oh, thank you, Watuwe! Thank you for your wonderful kindness!"
Feeling a huge wave of relief, Towjatuwa ran all the way back to his cozy wooden house, trusting the promise of the magical river king.
Chapter 4: A Miracle and a Vow
Later that evening, just as he promised, the magnificent feathered crocodile arrived at Towjatuwa’s home. The poor wife was still crying in pain on her bed. Slowly and gently, Watuwe approached. Using his ancient, glowing magic, he cast a warm, soothing spell over the room. Instantly, the pain faded away, and with a final push, the wonderful sound of a baby crying filled the air!
Thanks to the magic crocodile, Towjatuwa’s wife had successfully given birth to a beautiful, bouncing, and healthy baby boy. Tears of joy streamed down Towjatuwa's face as he held his new son, whom they lovingly named Narrowra.
Towjatuwa: "Watuwe, words cannot express my gratitude. You have saved my wife and given me a beautiful son. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts!"Watuwe: "You are very welcome, Towjatuwa. We have helped each other this night. But before I return to my river, I must tell you something important. I can see the future, and your son, Narrowra, will grow up to be a very great and skilled hunter."
The magic crocodile then lowered his huge, feathered head and spoke in a serious, rumbling whisper.
Watuwe: "Hear my vow, Towjatuwa. I advise you and all your children never to hunt or eat a crocodile. If anyone in your family breaks this rule, your descendants will tragically perish one by one. And remember, when my time comes to pass away, you must find my magic pouch and carry it to the peak of Mount Sankria."Towjatuwa: "I promise you, Watuwe. We will protect you and your kind forever."
With a nod of his giant head, Watuwe turned and vanished into the night, returning to his home in the deep waters. From that magical night onward, Towjatuwa, young Narrowra, and all their descendants kept their promise. They lived in harmony with nature and always protected the crocodiles of the Tami River, a wonderful friendship that lasts even to this very day.
Give it a try! Follow the story of mutual help between Towjatuwa and Watuwe, the magical crocodile of the Tami River.
References:
Agni, Danu. (2013). Children's Stories of a Thousand Islands (Cerita Anak Seribu Pulau). Yogyakarta: Buku Pintar.
Komandoko, Gamal. (2013). The Best Collection of 100+ Indonesian Folktales (Koleksi Terbaik 100 plus Dongeng Rakyat Nusantara). Jakarta: PT Buku Seru.
- The Legend of the Sacred Stone: A Magical Papuan Folktale from Yapen Islands
- Towjatuwa and the Magical Crocodile: A Traditional Papuan Folktale





pregenante
ReplyDeletegyaat rizz
ReplyDeleter-r-rizz!??? ohio????😱😱😱😱😱
ReplyDelete